Basic Rules Of Golf [Beginner’s Guide]
Have you considered playing golf but are not up to speed on the basic rules? From building character to enhancing business relationships, golf is a game not to overlook. However, realizing the best experience will be a mirage unless you understand some of its basic rules. Here are a few insights into this game.
RELATED: Mystery Solved: How Long Does 18 Holes Of Golf Take?
What Is The Objective Of Golf
The objective of the game of golf is to complete a hole. It involves playing the ball from the teeing ground and into the hole on the putting green. Usually, doing this in the fewest strokes possible would be best. One round of golf entails 18 such holes.
Typically, the game starts at the tee area, and the ball is placed on a tee for its first shot. The green is where the hole is, with a flag next to it. This flag allows the players to see the hole’s location from a distance.
RELATED: The 7 Best Golf Tips For Beginner Golfers
The Number Of Players And Golf Clubs You Play With
A competitive round allows you to carry up to 14 golf clubs in your bag. These 14 clubs include the following.
- Lob wedge
- Gap wedge
- Two hybrids or 3-wood
- Pitching wedge
- 3-9 iron
You could also start your game with fewer than 14 golf clubs. Remember, you are free to add some more as time goes by. The catch is that the act should not delay the play, nor should the clubs come from another player.
There is no one-dimensional answer to how many players can play golf. However, teams can be in twos, threes, or fours. Each player will play their ball. In the long run, the entire team adopts the best score on the hole.
Scoring Yourself In Golf
This process is relatively straightforward. It requires recording how many shots you took to complete a hole. Once you complete all 18 holes, add the scores from each hole and get the total for the round. You can also keep track of your opponents’ scores.
Basic Rules Of Golf
Understanding the basic rules ensures you have an easier time on the golf course. Here are some of the rules you should have at your fingertips.
- Ensure that you play within the specified parameters. That means you have to tee up between or behind the front of white or yellow markers
- Always play the ball as it is. The idea is that you need never improve the ball’s position during play. Strike the ball fairly, and avoid spooning or pushing it
- Do not play the wrong ball. Preferably, mark your ball before you start your game, lest you confuse it with your opponent’s ball
- You do not seek advice from other players on which clubs to use during the round
- Ensure that you score yourself correctly. Be careful not to overstate or understate the scores
- You must play a new ball if your ball goes out of bounds. Take a one-stroke penalty and drop in play at where the ball had crossed into out of bounds
NOTE: Looking to learn more rules? Check out USGA’s 15 rules every golfer should know
Golf is a relatively straightforward game. With all the basic rules at hand, you are sure of a great experience.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
There are no commentsAdd yours